Gary Sanitary District is a publicly owned wastewater utility committed to improving the quality of life and economic development in Northwest Indiana; and to providing superior water environment services in a safe, ethical, cost effective and customer-friendly manner. Additionally, the Gary Sanitary District will utilize the best available technology to meet and exceed regulatory standards and offer a health, motivating workplace that promotes the growth and leadership development of its employees.
After creation of The Gary Sanitary District in 1938, The Board of Sanitary Commissioners initiated a construction program that included several interceptors and a wastewater treatment plant. This original plant was placed in service, at the present site, in 1940. The treatment facility was an activated sludge process designed to provide secondary treatment, with nominal capacity of 20 million gallons per day (MGD) to 40 millions gallons per day (MGD)Expansion and improvements began in 1962 to increase the treatment capacity of the plant.
Major construction followed in 1970, 1973, 1975, and 1982 (73-E,74-B&C,74-D, 77-A and 82-C-3). These projects basically dealt with the treatment plant. Projects 82-B (Divisions 1,2 and 3), 91-23, 91-AA, 91-CC, 91-DD3, 91-C-1&2,91-FF3, 91-J3, 91-GG-3 were formulated in 1991 and dealt with the lift stations, regulators and the sewer system(Black Oak) all of which were to satisfy the items in the Modified Consent Decree of 1990 that addressed combined sewer overflows.
The combined total of all the projects since 1962 comes to approximately $150,000,000.00 dollars. The total asset value is over $400,000,000.00 dollars.
GBE Certification Application